Breaking news
Kent Vital resigns from Freedom Party updated 2 days, 16 hours ago
CoVID -19 update 1
CoVID -19 update 1

Over 40 positive cases in Bermuda care homes

Forty-four people from 20 care homes in Bermuda returned positive results for COVID-19, from tests conducted on Saturday, the health minister, Kim Wilson, has revealed.

In an update last night, Wilson did not indicate how many were residents of these homes, or if any staff were infected.

"On Saturday we completed testing of all 21 of Bermuda's care homes. Although the results of one care home are still being processed, to date we have the results of 333 care home residents and 436 staff members from 20 different care homes. Of all tested, 44 have come back positive," the minister said.

In addition to the care homes, another 469 tests were conducted on Sunday and Monday, with one person testing positive, Wilson announced.

The latest positive result brings the number of known cases in Bermuda to 119, eight of whom have died. The latest victim passed away over the weekend.

In making the announcement, Wilson did not reveal any information about the individual, stating as was the norm to keep this information private "to respect the family's right to privacy, especially at this difficult time".

BVI to conduct COVID-19 survey

The authorities in the British Virgin Islands are to conduct a survey to determine the public's knowledge and understanding about coronavirus.

The survey, which is available online, is designed to capture "what is known, what is thought, what is done" in relation to COVID-19, according to Harmony Brewley-Massiah, the territory's chief epidemiologist.

Brewley-Massiah explained that establishing a baseline for public understanding is important for containing the virus.

"Once we identify where the gaps are when it comes to what people have learned so far about the coronavirus, COVID-19, and what preventative actions they're practising in their daily lives, we can effectively tailor our efforts to prevent it from spreading in our community," a release from the health ministry quoted her as saying.

Construction industry to reopen in the Cayman Islands

Plans are under way to reopen the construction industry in the Cayman Islands as the country begins the journey back to some form of normality, the premier, Alden McLaughlin, has revealed.

However, in making the announced at the daily COVIC-19 briefing last evening, McLaughlin intimated that the workers first had to be tested.

"The next segment to be reopened, but gradually and phased, is the development and construction industry, which will release about 8,000 workers. This will regenerate the economy and sustain employment in the Islands in the coming weeks," the premier said.

"A plan for screening construction workers will be announced shortly. For instance, sanitation facilities have to be in place at construction sites so that workers are able to wash hands, get and eat food with minimal risk to their co-workers," he added.

The medical officer of health, Dr. Samuel Williams-Rodriquez, announced at the briefing that as of the of the day yesterday, there were three new confirmed cases, brining the number of known cases to 84.

Of the three, one was a contact of a known positive patient and the other two were part of an ongoing investigation. All three are asymptomatic, which led the premier to caution about the possibility of other such cases in the British territory.

"This in turn shows that the reopening of community activities should be undertaken methodically and not overnight. The restrictions in place are working. Patience is called for," McLaughlin said.

Cuba surpass the 1800 mark

The number of coronavirus cases in Cuba has gone past 1800, with the confirmation yesterday of 21 additional infections/

There are now 1804 cases in the country, according to the ministry of public health in an update at the end of the day yesterday.

The communist party newspaper, Granma, quoted the health officials as saying that all 21 new confirmed cases were Cuban and 20 were contacts of confirmed cases. It was not clear how the other person contracted the virus.

Guyana's Region 9 records first COVID-19 case

Guyana's Upper Takatu-Upper Essequibo region - known as Region 9 - has recorded its first case of the novel coronavirus, the government's department of public information (DPI) has reported.

It quoted the regional executive officer, Carl Parker, as saying that the individual lived in Bonfim in the mid-eastern Brazilian state of Roraima but worked as a miner in the Guyana hinterland.

The city is located opposite the Takutu River from Lethem, Guyana, and the two are linked by the Takutu River Bridge.

"The person in question had felt unwell and travelled to Bonfim to receive treatment. However, even though his condition did not improve he returned to Lethem where the regional official alerted the public health ministry," DPI quoted Parker as saying.

The regional executive said five primary contacts of the man and their families were on quarantine while another nine staff who are considered secondary contacts, and their families, would also be quarantined.

No more daily updates from Guadeloupe

Guadeloupe's regional health authority, agence régionale de santé (ARS), today announced it would no longer be providing daily updates on the COVID-19 situation on the island and would instead provide weekly figures.

"The update will no longer be daily but weekly, just like the epidemiological bulletin distributed on Friday. However, press releases will be issued in the event of the death or discovery of a COVID-19 cluster," ARS said on its website.

The authority confirmed one new case today, bringing to 155 the number of known infections. ARS said it was an imported case who arrived on the island a fortnight ago.

Three more cases in Jamaica

Health authorities in Jamaica today reported that in the last 24 hours, three samples tested positive for COVID-19. This brings the total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases to 505.

The national surveillance unit of the health ministry said in a release that were two males and one female ranging in age from 19 to 28. All three are imported cases from the recent group of re-patriated individuals, it said.

There are 41 imported cases in Jamaica and 25 that are import-related. Most (304 or 60%) of the confirmed cases are females and there are 201

'Phased opening' in St. Maarten

Select businesses in the Dutch Caribbean municipality of St. Maarten can now open their doors to the public in what the Prime Minister, Silveria Jacobs, said was a phased opening.

"When we state in a particular phase, a business is allowed to be opened, that does not mean that it is mandatory for them to be open. Businesses that are allowed to be open during this week, May 11th, may only do so once all the guidelines are in place and the business or entity agrees to open to serve the public," Jacobs said in a national broadcast last night.

"As such, entities or businesses can decide to defer their opening to a later date as well. Therefore, any persons requiring a particular service, or are questioning whether a service that they need is open, should check if the business is open before leaving their homes," she advised.

The prime minister said although yesterday was the first day of the new business opening schedule, "I did not see a rush". She attributed this to the population's behaviour being "completely in line with our new normal".

Up until the end of the day yesterday, St. Maarten had gone 13 days without a new confirmed coronavirus infection.